Dial-Up Setup Instructions for Windows Vista
Willamette University offers free dial-up service to staff, students, and faculty. The numbers are Salem area local. Please be sure that Salem is a local call for you at your location, otherwise your phone company will charge you long-distance fees for the time you spend dialed-up to Willamette University.
- Click on the Start, navigate to Control Panel
- On the left, click on Classic View.
- Click on Network and Sharing Center.
- On the right, click on Set up a connection or network.
- In the Choose a connection option window. Choose Set up a dial-up connection and click Next.
- Under Type the information from your Internet Service Provider (ISP) enter the following information
- Dial-up phone number: 503-370-6627
- User Name: **enter your Willamette Username**
- Password: **enter your Willamette Password**
- Do NOT check ‘show characters’
- We recommend you do not check ‘Remember this password’
- Connection Name: Willamette Dial-up
- Choose whether you want other users to use the connection.
- Click Create
- In the The connection to the Internet is ready to use window, click Close
This should be all you have to do, but you may want a shortcut created so you can easily connect and disconnect from Willamette’s dial-up service.
- In the Network and Sharing Center (where you should end up after creating the connection), on the left, click on Manage Network connections.
- You should see an Icon called Willamette Dial-up. Right-click on that icon. A menu should pop up, choose create shortcut from that menu.
- A warning will come up saying “windows cannot create a shortcut here. Do you want a shortcut to be placed on the desktop insteadd?” click Yes.
- You will now see an icon on your desktop called Willamette Dial-up.
Connecting and Disconnecting from the dial up service.
- You can now simply double-click on the desktop shortcut and click connect (after entering your password in) to connect to the Willamette dial up service.
- When you are done you can double-click on the icon and choose disconnect.