Math 130: Contemporary Mathematics
(back row: James, Spencer, Jessie, Torey, Maribel, Lindsey, Allysa, Bryce, Marie, Maddie, Derek, Lynne, Melissa, Emily, Emma, Alexandra, Kesley, Lucas, Will, Lauren)
(front row: Noah, Abbey, Victoria, Zach, Amalia)
(back row: Allessandro, Torah, Ari, Kristen, Jason, Sean, Maureen, Dillon, Wade, Devin, Grace, Grace, Carly, Christian, Pauline)
(front row: Ginny, Katie, Eli, Alison, Rachel)
(not pictured: Patrick, Eden, Jenny)
- Course Procedures
- Daily Problems
- Web Links:
- The Mathematics Subject Classification from the American Mathematical Society
- Zarankiewicz's Conjecture about crossing numbers of graphs
- The Orchard Planting Problem
- A paper about Frobenius numbers
- The Fibonacci Association and Fibonacci Quarterly
- The Online Encyclopedia of Integer Sequences
- wolframalpha, the online computation engine
- Vi Hart's videos on Fibonacci numbers, part 1,
part 2, and part 3.
- The AKS Primality test
- The largest known prime number,
from the Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search.
- (warning, the prime is 16 megs!)
- The Prime Number Theorem
- The Clay Millenium Problems
- Platonic solid inscribings
- The regular polychora
- Stephen Colbert on topology
- Mobius bands in biology,
- A neat topology trick
- Minesweeper on a torus
- Torus and Klein bottle games
- Klein bottle video
- Cyclist on a Klein bottle video
- Projective plane video
- Buy a Klein bottle here, and impress people at parties.
- A 1-D Cellular Automaton Java applet.
- Play the game of life
- The last link has some incredible examples of initial patterns, such as
- A fractal generator.
- Another fractal generator.
- Fractal images: Koch snowflake,
- The Chaos Game
- Examples of Julia sets
- Movies of different Julia sets and zooming into a Julia set and again
- Mandelbrot set song
- Mandelbrot set and Julia set investigator, and some Mandelbrot movies, and
- A neat discussion of geodesics.
- A globe applet