Mathematics 110---Mathematical Explorations, Fall 05
(back row: Alan, Xander, Misael, Basil, Matt, Nolan, Toly, Marshall, Colin)
(front row: Nick, Lynne, Kevin, Caroline, Hillary, Liz, Andrew, Julia, Dom)
Mathematics 110---Mathematical Explorations, Fall 03
(back row: Rob, Miranda, Cat, Katy, Nic, Corty, Richard)
(middle-back row: Nick, Justin, Decker, Adrienne, Maraya, Nick, Portia, Rachel, JJ)
(middle-front row: Eric, Eliza, Jon, Blake, Jedd)
(front row: Tom, Pat, Nick)
(not pictured: Brack)
- Course Procedures
- Daily Assignments, updated through Wednesday, December 21.
- Team Problem Assignments:
- Team Problems #1, due Friday, Dec. 2
- Team Problems #2, due Wednesday, Dec. 7
- Team Problems #3, due Monday, Dec. 12
- Team Problems #4, due Thursday, Dec. 15
- Team Problems #5, due Tuesday, Dec. 20
- Individual Problem Assignments:
- Individual Problems #1, due Monday, Dec. 5
- Individual Problems #2, due Thursday, Dec. 8
- Individual Problems #3, due Tuesday, Dec. 13
- Individual Problems #4, due Friday, Dec. 16
- Individual Problems #5, due Wednesday, Dec. 21
- Web Links:
- The Mathematics Subject Classification,
from the American Mathematical Society,
and the searchable mathscinet version
- The Fibonacci Quarterly
- The largest known prime number,
from the Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search.
- (the prime number takes a while to load!)
- RSA Security
- The Clay Millenium Problems
- The Official M.C. Escher website
- Tilings of the hyperbolic plane
- Buy a Klein bottle here, and impress people at parties.
- Play games on a torus or a Klein bottle here.
- 7 adjacent countries on a torus.
- The Erdös Number Project.
- A 1-D Cellular Automaton Java applet.
- A number of java applets for the Game of Life are
- The last link has some incredible examples of initial patterns, such as
- Bob Devaney's webpage,
including this fractal creator,
this Mandelbrot set and Julia set investigator,
these movies, and