Reading assignments -- Introduction to Programming
Readings are listed by the date they will be tested by quizzes. The material in the readings will typically be covered in the week before the quiz. Bring any questions you have about the readings to class, so that we can cover anything that's not clear.
- Week 1: Ruby Chapter 1 & 2 (read 2 after you do Lab 1 and before you do Lab 2!)
- Week 2: Java Chapter 1, Ruby Chapter 3
- Week 3: Java Chapter 2, Ruby Chapter 4
- Week 4: Java Chapter 3
- Week 5: Java Chapter 4
- Week 6: Java Chapter 5. For the midterm, read/learn the whole thing, for Monday, read/learn up to The Classmaker tool on p.15, and the rest for Weds.
Memorize BNF 5.1 through BNF 5.11 for the exam.
- Week 7: Java Chapter 6: Snowfolk
- Week 8: Java Chapter 7: Tennis
- Week 9: Java Chapter 8: Iteration
- Week 12: Java Chapter 9: Threads and Simulation
Some old links that might be useful:
New terms by chapter
TOC Table of contents
(which is also the outline for the course)
Whole text (slightly outdated)