- JD, Yale University, 1998
- MA, University of Pennsylvania, 1994
- BA, University of Pennsylvania, summa cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa, 1994
Areas of Expertise
Dean Appleman teaches and writes in the areas of criminal law, criminal procedure, family law and sentencing law and policy.
After graduation in 1998, Appleman served as law clerk to Judge A. Wallace Tashima of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit. From 2000-05, she was a criminal appellate public defender at the Center for Appellate Litigation, where she briefed and argued approximately 50 appeals in front of the New York appellate courts, including the New York Court of Appeals. From 2005-06, Dean Appleman was a visiting assistant professor at Hofstra University School of Law. She joined the Willamette University College of Law faculty in 2006.
Honors and Professional Affiliations
Appleman is a member of the Yale Law School Executive Committee, is co-reporter for the Yale Law School class of '98, has served on the Criminal Advocacy Committee of the Association of the Bar of the City of New York, and has worked with the Brennan Center for Justice on issues of indigent defense and criminal procedure. She currently blogs at the Faculty Lounge.
Appleman is admitted to practice law by the State Bar of New York.
- Defending the Jury: Crime, Community, and the Constitution. (Cambridge University Press, 2015).
Chapters of Books or Articles Within Books
- "Gothic Stories, Mens Rea, and Nineteenth-Century American Criminal Law" in The Ashgate Research Companion to Law and Humanities in Nineteenth-Century America. (Ashgate Press, forthcoming 2017).
Law Review Articles and Essays
- "Community, Local Democracy, and Criminal Justice" in 111 Northwestern University Law Review (forthcoming 2017).
- "Nickel and Dimed into Incarceration: Cash-Register Justice in the Criminal System" in 57 Boston College Law Review (forthcoming 2016).
- "A Tragedy of Errors: Blackstone, Procedural Asymmetry, and Criminal Justice" in 128 Harvard Law Review Forum 91 (2015).
- "Justice in the Shadowlands: Pretrial Detention, Punishment, & the Sixth Amendment" in 69 Washington & Lee Law Review 1297 (2012).
- "The Community Right to Counsel" in 17 Berkeley Journal of Criminal Law 1 (2012).
- "Oscar Wilde's Long Tail: Framing Sexual Identity in the Law" in 70 Maryland Law Review 985 (2011).
- "The Plea Jury" in 85 Indiana Law Journal 73 (2010).
- "The Lost Meaning of the Jury Trial Right" in 84 Indiana Law Journal 397 (2009).