As noted in our self-study, the faculty approval process created a more complicated set of requirements than our original proposal contained. Thus, our requirements have a slightly more problematic connection with our goals than originally intended. An early agenda item for us in the assessment/revision process is to address this issue.
Student Learning Outcomes for the Film Major
- Student should develop a broadly interdisciplinary approach to an understanding of film and its role in society
- Student should be conversant with the history of international cinema and be able to use that history to provide context for other works they encounter
- Students should be competent in employing theoretical and disciplinary tools in the analysis and assessment of film and filmic images
- Students should have basic competence in some format associated with visual media—digital video, digital music, screenwriting, photography, or animation
- Students should be competent in developing critical responses to cinematic work based upon aesthetic or cultural values other than the entertainment model that dominates the mainstream Hollywood distribution system