Admitted International Exchange Students
Welcome to Willamette Willamette University's MBA Program
This Information Directory provides some basic information you will need as you plan for your MBA exchange program at Willamette University's Atkinson Graduate School of Management. We will keep you up-to-date and informed throughout the coming months.
Be sure to contact us with your questions. Call 503-370-6167 (toll free within the U.S. at 1-866-MBA-AGSM) or email Judy at email@example.com.
The entire Atkinson School community congratulates you on your admission to the Willamette MBA program and encourages you to join us for a career-building and life-changing experience.
|Judy O'Neill||Aimee Akimoff||Matt Alex|
|Associate Dean and Director of Admission||Director of Recruitment||MBA Recruiter and Admission Counselor|
Learn More About the Willamette MBA
- Join the admitted student Facebook page for the entering class of 2014.
- Watch this video featuring program information and three of our facutly members. Get to know Professors Larry Ettner (PACE, Leadership, Ethics, Social Responsibility), Tim Johnson (Politics for Managers, Public Policy) and Ashley Nixon (Human Resources and Organizational Behavior) as they discuss teaching at the Willamette MBA program and the unique opportunities the Willamette learning experience brings to your education!
- Read recent 2013-14 newsletters. April 2014 Newsletter March 2014 Newsletter December 2013 Newsletter
- Visit our website at http://www.willamette.edu/mba
- Download a PDF version of the Early Career and Career Change viewbook
- Learn about the Atkinson School Honor Code
- Download the most recent Dean's report "Transformation - The MBA as A Springboard"
- Download the previous Dean's reports: "Innovation, Imagination, Ideas, Impact" and "People, Planet and Profits"
- Visit the Admitted Student Web page
- Read recent editions of Atkinson News - the newsletter about faculty, students, alumni and events
- "Like" our Willamette MBA facebook page for the Early Career and Career Change MBA Program
- "Like" our Willamette MBA general facebook page
- Follow us on Twitter
Academic Calendar for 2014 - 2015
Fall Semester 2014 officially begins on Tuesday, August 19th, with Compass Week. Compass Week is required for all new students. New students should plan to arrive in Salem between August 1st and August 12th (or before) so you have time to get settled and rested before school starts. A fun and optional presession will be available on Friday, August 15th. The basic academic calendar for 2014-15 is shown below.
Fall Semester 2014
|Optional Presession Program||August 15|
|Fall Semester Begins||August 19|
|Willamette International Student Orientation (Required)||August 19|
|Compass Week (Required)||August 19 @ 4:00 p.m. through August 22|
|Labor Day Holiday||September 1|
|Thanksgiving Vacation||November 24 - November 28|
|End of Fall Semester||December 19|
Spring Semester 2015
|First Day of Spring Semester||January 19|
|Spring Vacation||To be announced|
|End of Semester||May 12|
|Commencement for Graduating Class of 2015||May 17|
Arrival Assistance An Atkinson School student will pick you up at Portland International Airport (PDX) when you arrive for Willamette's fall semester 2014. Our arrival student liaisons will bring you to Salem, help you find a place to live, start your bank account, etc. We will provide more information about our Arrival Liaison Program and International Student Orientation programs early in the summer of 2014.
International Student Advisor Christine Andresen, Associate Director of International Education, is your international student advisor. Contact Chris with questions about visa, immigration or health insurance issues. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 503-375-5404.
Willamette University Student ID Number
Your will receive your Willamette University Student Identification Number in an email from Judy O'Neill within a few days of your admission email. You may be asked for your ID number when working with many campus offices because it will expedite their ability to rapidly access your records. Your ID number is private information, so you should not share your ID number with people other than Willamette University employees.
As an exchange student you pay tuition at your home school.
Save on Exchange Rates and Bank Transfer Fees
Willamette University partners with peerTransfer to save international students money on exchange rates and bank fees involved in their payment processes. Using peerTransfer can save students up to $1500 a year. peerTransfer also provides great 24 hour multi-lingual customer support (phone, email, Skype, and chat), quick service, and the opportunity to easily track your payment.
Learn more about peerTransfer at http://peertransfer.com/ and see a comparison of the costs you will have from peerTransfer versus a typical bank. If you want to use peerTransfer you can access Willamette's page at https://peertransfer.com/school/willamette.
All Willamette MBA students are required to have a laptop computer. In some classes you will use your laptop extensively; in others periodically or minimally. Current required laptop specifications are listed below.
* 802.11b or 802.11g wireless LAN capability
* Microsoft Office software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access)
* Recommended RAM of 2G
Special Note #1. Some courses require Windows only software applications that are not available for Mac. In these cases, students will need to provide their own access to an appropriate windows based laptop. In other cases, windows based software is available for Apple OS X Intel based laptops (MacBook and MacPro) that are set up to support the Windows operating system. However, the cost to purchase Windows operating system software and license are the responsibility of the student.
Special Note #2. : If you intend to use a laptop provided by an organization or employer for your MBA course work, be sure the laptop administration is NOT restricted by the organization's IT department. You may be required to install software, make network changes, or make other system configuration changes to your laptop. Laptops with administration lock down or that are only partially configurable will not meet the requirements of this program.
Housing for Exchange Students
We have reserved on-campus housing for exchange students. The Willamette University housing office will email you about reservations. The email address of the housing office is email@example.com.
If you are participating in a two semester exchange at Willamette, you can live on-campus or off-campus. If you choose to live off-campus you should email firstname.lastname@example.org and tell them you do not want to live on-campus. If you decide to live off-campus, be sure to understand that you will be committed to living off-campus -- there will be no rooms available on-campus at a later date. Please copy email@example.com on any emails you send to firstname.lastname@example.org If you are planning to live off-campus check our online Google map and recommendations from students.
We will provide additional and updated information in early summer 2014.
A recent Statesman Journal newspaper article estimates the going rate for two-bedroom, one-bathroom apartment ranges from $560 to $650 per month. The typical one-bedroom rents for about $460 to $570 per month.
Health Insurance for International Students
All students are required to have health insurance. You will not be required to purchase the Willamette insurance plan if you are covered by a comparable health insurance plan. Complete information about health insurance for international students is available online.
Disability and Learning Services
The mission of the Willamette University Disability and Learning Services office is to facilitate reasonable accommodations for those students with a qualifying disability or temporary medical condition and to provide academic assistance on an individual basis to any undergraduate or graduate student who requests it. Admitted applicants desiring information regarding Disability Services for Willamette MBA students may go to www.willamette.edu/dept/disability and follow the procedures listed. Students who have a documented disability requiring accommodation should contact the Office of Disability and Learning Services at 503-370-6471.
Communicate with an MBA Student, Faculty Member or Alumnus
If you would like to communicate with an MBA School student, faculty member and/or alumnus, we will be happy to connect you! To request contact, just email email@example.com.
Changes in Your Mailing Address, Email Address or Telephone Number
If you have a change in your mailing address, email address or telephone number, be sure to tell us so we can continue to keep you informed of important information. Email changes to firstname.lastname@example.org
Willamette University Resource Directory
|Atkinson School -- Admission Office|
Associate Dean and
|Director of Recruitment||Aimee Akimoff
|Admission Counselor||Matt Alex
|Admitted Student Web Page||www.willamette.edu/agsm/admission/admitted|
|Mailing Address||Admission Office
Atkinson Graduate School of Management
900 State Street
Salem, OR 97301
|International Student Advising|
Associate Director of International Education
|Financial Aid Office|
Senior Financial Aid Counselor
|Mailing Address||Financial Aid Office
900 State Street
Salem, OR 97301
|On-Campus Housing – Office of Residence Life|
Web Resources for Learning about Oregon, Salem and Portland
Links to Oregon and the Pacific Northwest:
- Travel Oregon Online - regional activities and tourist information
- Welcome to Oregon - A collection of Oregon links and information
- Travel Guide - Oregon - NY Times
- Oregon.com - a great collection of information sorted by interest
- Oregon - 50 States.com
- Oregon Highways - information about Oregon and links to other areas of the Pacific Northwest
- Oregon Live - news, information and links
- Pictures of Oregon - pictures of Oregon and Washington
- Pictures of the Oregon Coast - a collection of photographs featuring the Oregon coast
- Photographs of Oregon - Oregon scenic photography
- Travel Salem - a great guide to Salem
- City of Salem - the City of Salem's web site
- Pretty as a Postcard - Photos of the Salem area
- Salem Chamber Of Commerce - quick answers to frequent questions about Salem
- Salem Visitor Center - information regarding the greater Salem area
- Statesman Journal Online - the website of the Salem Statesman Journal
- Weather Forecast for Salem
- Portland City Search - news, events, visitor information
- Portland Online - official web site of the City of Portland
- Travel Portland - Portland Visitors Association - things to see and do
- Welcome to Portland - a collection of Portland links and information
- Discover Portland - information for travelers
- Trip Advisor - Portland
- Portland International Airport