Professor Gerberding has been teaching Latin courses at Willamette University since Fall 2013.
He retired from his position as a Professor of History and Director of Classical Studies at the University of Alabama in Huntsville in 2013 after 29 years of teaching there. During this time, he was honored with the National Teaching Award of the American Philological Association (1996).
- Ph.D., Oxford University (United Kingdom)
• The Rise of the Carolingians And The Liber Historiae Francorum, Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1987.
• History and Hagiography in Seventh-Century Francia, Manchester University Press, 1996.
• Medieval Worlds (with Joann Moran Cruz) Boston: Houghton-Mifflin, 2003.
• "Paris Bibliothèque Nationale Latin 7906: An Unnoticed Very Early Fragment of the Liber Historiae Francorum," Traditio XLIII (1987), pp. 381-386.
• "716: A Crucial Year For Charles Martel," in: Karl Martel und seine Zeit, Sigmaringen: Jan Thorbecke Verlag, 1994, pp. 1-12.
• "Gregory of Tours", in: The Encyclopedia of Medieval France, Garland Press, 1995.
• "Fredegar", in The Encyclopedia of Medieval France, Garland Press, 1995.
• "Pippin the Short" in The Encyclopedia of Medieval Germany, Garland Press, 2000.
• "The Late Roman Empire," in: The New Cambridge Medieval History, Vol. I AD 500-700, Cambridge University Press, 2005.
Book Reviews in Speculum, American Historical Review, and International History Review.