The University of Leicester is located in Leicester, England and lies approximately 100 miles north-west of London. The university is located in the tenth largest city in Britain with a population of approximately 300,000. There is excellent access to public transportation, providing easy access to rail stations and airports. There are approximately 23,000 full-time, part-time and distance learning students who attend the University of Leicester. Of the 12,600 full-time students, around 24% come from outside the European
Union, from a total of more than 70 countries.
WU students take regular University of Leicester courses and this program is recommended for most majors. Students going to University of Leicester take 60 credits per semester. Please see the Course (module) listing for study abroad and exchange students for a full list of departments with courses for exchange students. Modules numbered in the 100's are first year courses, 200's are second year courses, and 300's, 400's, and 500's are third (final year) courses. Some courses are restricted to students majoring in that subject or may require specific pre-requisites.
Students live in university housing and can choose from catered (includes 14 meals a week) or self-catered, shared or single rooms, and rooms with or without private bathroom. Please see the Leicester Accommodation Office websites for Accommodation Options and Cost information.
The University of Leicester program is available in either the fall or spring semester. Fall semester starts late September and ends mid-December; spring semester starts mid-January and ends mid-May. If participating in the optional study tour in London please meet with a study abroad advisor to discuss your arrival dates. Students may opt to participate in an optional Study Tour prior to the beginning of their semester at an additional cost ( approx. £750).
Please see the Willamette Sponsored Programs Cost Matrix for detailed explanation of the cost of each program. More detailed information about accommodation costs can be found on the Leicester University Accommodation Office website. Further information about expected expenses at Leicester can be found on the bottom of the Tuition Fees/Other Costs website. Students may opt to participate in an optional Study Tour prior to the beginning of their semester at an additional cost ( approx. £750). The extra fees associated with the "study tour" programs are NOT included and students will pay Leicester University directly for those costs.
- University of Leicester Website
- University of Leicester International Office - resources for exchange students
- Course information at University of Leicester
- Application process - (do not complete the application until advised by the OIE)
- International Student Welcome Program
- Estimated living costs at Leicester (See the Other Costs section at the bottom of the page. The Tuition information does not apply to exchange students.)
- Accommodation information at University of Leicester
- Accommodation Cost Information
- Optional Study Tour information (not included in cost paid to Willamette)
- Willamette World News: United Kingdom
- Local Weather
- Embassy of England: historical and government information
- CIA World Factbook
- Lonely Planet Guide
- City of Leicester